Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Apple Chips

We made apple chips last week as an activity to go along with our unit on The Giving Tree. I found the recipe on Babble so you can check that out if you want to see what they did. :)

We had kind of small apples so I used three. We didn't need to peel them just wash and core. I actually bought this apple corer to use on cupcakes but it worked perfectly for this recipe since I wanted slices.


The mandolin made slicing quick and easy since you will want them thin.
We then laid the slices out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. They aren't really supposed to touch each other but I didn't want to have to use another cookie sheet. I will tell you why in a minute. ;)

We mixed 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. I put it into a sprinkle container I had saved and let Meghan sprinkle it on. Well she didn't realize how quickly it could come out so it got used up on about 10 or so slices. ;) So I mixed up some more and we did the rest. While we were doing this we preheated the oven to 200. After they are all sprinkled with cinnamon sugar in they go. They bake at 200 for 2 hours. This is why I didn't want to use another cookie sheet, I didn't have space for two in the oven and it takes a while for them to bake.

Here they are all dried and ready. They aren't burnt, those are those ones that got the heavy sprinkling.
Loosen from the parchment paper after they are cooled. You can store them in an air tight container for up to three days. Ours didn't last that long. They were sooo good. A nice healthy snack and so crunchy. I recommend this recipe and now I want to see if I can dry (dehydrate?) other fruits in the oven. :)






0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...